Bylaws of Hazeldale Elementary Parent Teacher Organization
An Oregon Non-Profit Corporation
July 1, 2009
Article 1 – Name
The name of this corporation shall be the Hazeldale Elementary Parent Teacher
Organization, Inc. (herein called the PTO).
Article 2 – Objective
The objectives of the PTO shall be to:
1. Promote education, communication, and understanding among the
students, parents, faculty, administration, and the community of Hazeldale
Elementary School (herein called the School);
2. Supply and facilitate parental and community support to the School;
3. Support the School in projects and public information as they relate to the
School’s educational programs;
4. Promote the welfare of children and youth in home, school, and
5. Promote parental support for, and the cooperation with, the teachers and
administrators of the School in the education of the children and youth
enrolled in the School; and
6. Enhance and augment the basic curriculum through volunteerism and
student enrichment programs.
Article 3 – Policies
1. The PTO shall be noncommercial, nonsectarian, and nonpartisan. Neither
the name of the PTO nor the name of any of its members, officers, or
directors in their official capacity shall be used in connection with any
commercial concern or with any partisan interest, or for any purpose other
than the regular work of the PTO.
2. The programs of the PTO shall be education, fundraising, and social and
3. The PTO may cooperate with other organizations and agencies active in
child development such as conference groups or coordinating councils,
provided that no commitment shall bind the PTO beyond the current
4. No substantial part of the activities of the PTO will include campaigning in
connection with ballot measures, and under no circumstances shall the
PTO engage in political activity either for or against any candidate for
Article 4 – Membership
1. All parents, guardians, teachers, and staff associated with the School are
and shall be members of the PTO.
Article 5 – Officers, Directors, and Elections
Officers and Terms of Office.
1. All officers and directors must be members of the PTO. The officers of the
PTO, each of whom shall also be a director of the PTO, shall consist of a
President, Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer, Volunteer Coordinator,
Hospitality Coordinator, and Teacher Representative. Any position may
be shared by one or more persons, each of whom will be a director and
will have a vote on the Board of Directors.
2. The officers, excluding the Teacher Representative, shall be elected by
secret written ballot at the annual election meeting of the members in May
of each year, and shall serve a term of one year from July 1 through June
30. Newly elected officers will assume their official duties at the last PTO
meeting of the school year after the outgoing officers have completed their
business and turned the meeting over to the newly elected officers.
3. The Teacher Representative shall be selected by the staff of the school on
or before the date of the annual election meeting of the members.
4. The same person shall hold no elected position for more than two
Nominations and Elections
1. Nominations for officers shall be made by a nominating committee. The
chair of the nominating committee shall be the PTO Vice President with
the Teacher Representative being the other director on this committee.
The nominating committee will consist of at least three but no more than
five members with not more than three such persons being directors. The
committee members shall be appointed by the President no later than
April 1 of each year.
2. The nominating committee shall report to the Board of Directors prior to
the annual election meeting the names of candidates for each office to be
filled. Additional nominations may be made from the floor at the annual
election meeting, provided consent of each candidate has been obtained
before his/her name is placed in nomination.
3. The elections shall occur at an annual election meeting of the members in
May of each year.
4. If there shall be but one candidate for any office, the election may be
made by voice vote at the annual election meeting.
5. A vacancy occurring in an office shall be filled for the remainder of the
term by a person elected by a majority vote of the remaining Directors. In
case a vacancy occurs in the Office of President, the Vice President will
become the President. The Vice President’s position will then be filled by
a person not currently an officer or director elected by a majority vote of
the remaining Directors and shall assume the duties of said office for the
remainder of the term.
Article 6 – Board of Directors
The Board of Directors shall consist of seven directors, or more, if any one or
more of the offices are shared. The Board of Directors shall at all time consist of
the President, Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer, Volunteer Coordinator,
Hospitality Coordinator, and Teacher Representative.
The duties of the Board of Directors shall be to:
1. Transact the necessary business in the intervals between PTO meetings;
2. Create new standing committees, special committees, or both;
3. Review annual budget prepared by the Treasurer before approval; and
4. Perform any other activities reasonably required for the PTO to
accomplish its purpose.
Article 7 – Duties of Officers
1. The President shall preside at all meetings of the PTO and Board of
Directors. The President shall be a member of ex-officio of all committees
except the nominating committee, and shall appoint a nominating
committee. The President shall be the official representative and shall act
on behalf of PTO to the Administration of Hazeldale Elementary. The
President shall also coordinate the work of the officers and committees
and shall perform other duties as may be necessary and proper for the
operation and well-being of the PTO.
The President shall receive the monthly bank statements form the bank.
After reviewing the statements for appropriateness of transactions, the
statements will be forwarded to the Treasurer.
2. The Vice President shall assist the President and shall perform the duties
of the President in the absence or inability of that officer to act. The Vice
President shall also oversee, jointly with the other Board Members, all
fundraising and student/academic enrichment efforts by the PTO. The
Vice President shall delegate the actual fundraising and student/academic
enrichment efforts to appropriate committees. The Vice President shall be
a member of ex-officio of all fundraising and student/academic enrichment
committees. The Vice President shall also preside over the nominating
committee and shall perform other duties as may be delegated. The Vice
President shall also preside over the Audit Committee as stated in Article
9.5 of these Bylaws.
3. The Secretary shall keep an accurate record of all business transacted at
each PTO meeting and be responsible for all PTO correspondence and
acknowledgments. The Secretary shall coordinate with various PTO
committee heads for those committees’ appropriate acknowledgments and
expressions of appreciation.
The Secretary shall have on hand for reference at each meeting a copy of
the Bylaws, the minutes from previous meetings, and the list of all
standing committees and their responsibilities. The Secretary shall also
perform such other duties as may be delegated to him/her by the
4. The Treasurer shall receive all monies of the PTO, keep an accurate
record of PTO receipts and expenditures, and pay out funds in
accordance with the approved budget as authorized by the PTO. The
Treasurer shall present a current financial statement at every PTO
meeting and Board of Directors meetings. The Treasurer shall be
responsible for ensuring the filing of annual reports to the Internal
Revenue Service and other governmental bodies as required by law.
5. The Volunteer Coordinator shall be a participating member of the Board
of Directors and shall serve as a liaison between the PTO, school staff,
school volunteers, and the community in order to maintain a wellcoordinated
school volunteer program.
6. The Hospitality Coordinator shall be a participating member of the
Board of Directors, shall attend all Board meetings and be responsible for
all committees associated with social activities of the PTO, and as
necessary, shall perform other duties that are necessary for the operation
and well-being of the PTO and Hazeldale Elementary.
7. The Teacher Representative shall be a participating member of the
Board of Directors, shall act as a liaison between the PTO and the school
staff and shall be responsible for communicating staff needs and requests
to the PTO members.
8. All officers shall:
1. Perform the duties prescribed in the Bylaws and any additional duties
which may be assigned to them from time to time; and
2. At the final meeting of the school year, deliver to their successor all
papers, files, and records, pertaining to their duties and
Article 8 – Committees
1. Additional or standing committees may be created or dissolved from
time to time by the President or the Board of Directors as necessary.
2. Special committees may be created from time to time to satisfy shortterm
objectives at the direction of the Board of Directors, the President,
or the PTO membership at a meeting.
Article 9 – Budget and Treasury
1. Preliminary budget discussions will occur at the April Board meeting.
Using information from these preliminary budget discussions, a proposed
budget shall be prepared by the Treasurer and reviewed by the Board of
Directors. This proposed budget shall be presented for discussion at the
May Board meeting. If there are any changes, they shall be made and the
final budget shall be presented and voted upon at the June Board
2. All funds of the PTO shall be maintained in an insured deposit account in
a bank or savings and loan institution as directed by the Board of
3. Any large cash deposits (over $100) must be verified by at least two
4. Any individual Board Grant larger than $2,500 shall be voted on at the
General PTO Meeting.
5. All checks drawn on the PTC account shall be signed by a least two
directors. Any check issued for over $100 must be signed by at least two
directors. Four directors will be authorized to sign on the PTO
checking/savings accounts; the President, Vice President, Secretary and
Treasurer. Any non-budgeted expenditures over $50.00 must be
approved in advance at a meeting of the Board of Directors.
6. Audit Committee. The accounts of the PTO may be examined at any time
but shall be examined at the end of each school year by an Audit
Committee. The Audit committee will be appointed by the President and
coordinated by the Vice President and will include the incoming Treasurer
and at least one PTO non-Board member. Satisfied that the Treasurer’s
report is correct, the Audit Committee shall sign a statement to that effect
at the end of the report. The report will become part of the PTO records.
7. A minimum of $7,500.00 shall remain in the treasury each year as a
contingency fund to be passed to the new PTO Board in order to provide
operating funds to begin the PTO’s activities for the next school year.
8. The fiscal and corporate year of the PTO shall be July 1 through June 30.
Article 10 – Board Meetings
1. Board meetings will be scheduled during the school year by the Board of
Directors. Board meetings will be attended by the Board of Directors,
Committee Chairs and any other interested PTO member.
2. Board meetings may be rescheduled or additional Board meetings may be
called from time to time by the Board of Directors as necessary, with not
less than ten days notice to the PTO membership.
3. A voting quorum with consist of the President and a least one-half of the
Board of Directors and motions shall be carried by a majority vote.
4. The rules of procedure for the PTO Board meetings, as to matters not
expressly governed by these Bylaws or the Articles of Incorporation, shall
be those prescribed in Robert’s Rules of Order, Revised.
Article 11 – Amendments
1. These Bylaws may be amended at any Board meeting by a majority of the
members present and voting, provided there has been one month
notification of the proposed amendment to all members.
Article 12 – Dissolution
1. In the event that the PTO is dissolved, all of its assets shall be distributed
in accordance with the decisions or plans made therefore by the previous
year’s Board and consistent with these Bylaws and Articles of